Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Adiós Guatemala, I'm going home.



After boiling more water than I can fathom and squishing more bugs than I care to remember, my time in Guatemala is nearing el fin (the end).  And while I certainly am looking forward to the luxuries of America, its no surprise that what I want most is to see you.  Four months away from friends and family is exhausting, and now that the end is so close, I am spending all of my time dreaming of home.

Well, almost all of my time...  First, I've got to say goodbye, and never in my life have people said goodbye to me like they have been here.  The ceremonies (and yes, I actually mean to use the word "ceremonies") started more than a week before my departure!

Last Friday, my team took a mini-retreat to see some beautiful waterfalls which are an hour outside of Nebaj.  We spent the day just relaxing: we walked through shallow streams, waded at the base of a waterfall, grilled and ate, and ate, and ate...

Here's a pic of me in front of the bigger waterfall:


And here is some of my team in front of the smaller waterfall:



Last night, we had a second big going-away meal with the team.  A couple of my colleagues made a very impressive feast consisting of green bean-beat tostados (better than it sounds), cilantro-mint potatoes, fresh salad, lemon tarts and even coke floats.  It was a lot of fun, but by the end of it, I was sure I could never eat again!

Tomorrow, I take my last dreaded, chicken-bus journey to Antigua, where I am finishing up my list of "things to do in Guatemala."  My team is coming also, so I'll have a lot of company going to a place where I can get areal views of the city, visiting a coffee plantation, and having yet another going-away-meal at Panza Verde, the best restaurant in Antigua. 

After breakfast on Saturday, I head to the airport.  And when the plane lands, I'll be home!   :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment